Um, I guess it’s finally time to take Chuck’s gun away from him…
Search Results for: Charlton Heston
The 2016 Festival of Clowns:
- Trump’s ad may be misleading.
- What’s inside Donald Trump’s pockets?
- Michael Brooks: It isn’t the Donald’s fault…he just repeats what other’s say.
- David Pakman: Trump campaign in panic after disastrous campaign ad.
- Young Turks: Trump ad cranks the stupid up to 11
- Farron Cousins: Trump stars in ISIS recruitment video.
- Trump: Making Al Qaeda great again.
- Does Donald Trump’s America already exits?
- Michael Brooks: Trump’s first ad is chocked full of Teh Crazy.
- Young Turks: Is there anything Carson can’t lie about doing?
- Stephen: Is this the end of Jeb!?
- Michael Brooks: Jeb! pulls a Carson on gift from Charlton Heston.
- Pelosi on the Ted Cruz birfer issue.
- David Pakman: Trump finally goes birfer on Ted Cruz.
- Trevor Noah: Birfers target Ted Cruz:
- Young Turks: Republican Birfers question Cruz’s eligibility to be President.
- Faux News rings in 2016.
- Friday hot takes.
- GOP are wrong on national security.
- Colbert: Hungry for power games.
- Jimmy Dore: GOP debate is a race to out-stupid each other.
- Young Turks: Rubio takes some incoming for his high heeled boots.
Over the counter birth control is very exciting.
Late Night Democratic presidential debate.
- North Korea claims they have tested an H-bomb.
- White House doubts N. Korea has thermonuclear weapons.
- Maddow: North Korea nuke claims doubted, still alarming
- Young Turks: N Korea claims H Bomb
Greenman: Exxon knew about climate change in the 1970s.
Preview: Obama’s Final State of the Union Address:
- Dave Hawkings’ white board: State of the Union.
- Obama previews the State of the Union address:
- White House: 70 Straight Months of Job Growth.
Jimmy Dore: GOP vows to pursue more nightmare policies in 2016.
Mental Floss: 29 facts about dinosaurs.
Gun Violence in America:
- Trevor Noah: President Obama targets gun violence
- Young Turks: Obama to Anderson Cooper, “Seriously dude?”
- Obama tears up over slain children.
- Thom: Something strange about NRA tax filings.
- Jimmy Dore: Obama tears up over dead kids, FAUX News attacks in ignorance.
- Stephen: Much ado about something.
- David Pakman: Gun nuts go crazy as Obama takes executive action on gun safety.
- Smart gun makers hope new plan means industry growth
- When the NRA was reasonable
- Sam Seder: Obama’s REAL gun control plan
- Obama: “Sense of Urgency” needed on gun violence.
- White House: NRA RAN.
- Jimmy Dore: The undeniable truth about guns & why it scares Obama
Ann Telnaes: White Americans are boiling mad.
Colbert: Beware of the Franken-Lincoln.
- Militias And The Patriot Movement: Love My Country, Hate My Government
- Mark Fiore: The United States of Militiadom
- Oregon Standoff: Burns gives armed occupiers an earful.
- Sam Seder: Take-over was divinely inspired. Thanks Jesus.
- Seth Meyers: A closer look at the Oregon militia.
- Young Turks: How media covered Oregon militia takeover
- Sam Seder: Lots of guns…not much food.
- Ann Telnaes: Armed activists? Or terrorists?
- Stephen: Oregon fail.
- Jonathan Mann: Terrorists in Oregon:
- Oregon standoff: What if the armed men were Muslim or Black?
- Farron Cousins: White men with guns? Okay. Black child with toy gun? You’re dead.
- Red State Update: Obama cries and Oregon terrorist patriots.
- Young Turks: Twitter trolls Oregon militia.
- Thom: Bundy boys want to take us back to the Articles of Confederation.
- Test Tube News: Why does the government own so much land?
- Farron Cousins: How FAUX News created the racist right wing terrorist movement
Congressional Hits and Misses of the week.
Farron Cousins: Koch brothers and ALEC team up to protect white collar criminals.
Water Emergency in Flint:
- Lead in water in Flint Michigan.
- Maddow: Disaster in Flint.
- Thom: Why isn’t Gov. Rick Snyder (R-MI) in prison?
- Republican cuts poison people.
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
I’m quoting the theme song to the Poseidon Adventure in my headline because let’s face it, yesterday’s election was a fucking disaster for Democrats, though just like any disaster flick, not exactly a surprise at the end. But I don’t really want to talk about that. Old people voted and young people didn’t. And so Republicans won big, giving America exactly the kind of crotchety, dyspeptic, backward thinking government the crotchety, dyspeptic, backward thinking electorate asked for.
But there was a silver lining here in Washington State and in Seattle in particular. Not for Democrats—they don’t control the state senate either. But with the ballot measures.
With the historic passage of Initiative 594, Washington is now the first state to approve gun control restrictions at the polls, and by an impressive 60-40 margin. And this wasn’t just asshole Seattle liberals forcing our immoral lifestyle on the rest of the state—I-594 actually won a few Eastern Washington counties, and did respectably well in a number of others. Meanwhile the intentionally confusing anti-background-check Initiative 591 is going down to a resounding defeat.
Together that shows up the NRA for the paper tiger it really is, and sets an example for how to defeat the gun-nuts with sensible gun control ballot measures throughout the nation. And once the NRA goes down at the polls a few more times, perhaps our politicians will begin to lose their fear of Charlton Heston’s shadow.
At the same time Seattle voters overwhelmingly approved measures funding both transit expansion and universal preschool. Nobody really expected the former to fail, but with all the public confusion over Metro’s finances, I guess anything was possible. And universal preschool faced a surprisingly hostile and mean-spirited opposition from folks with whom I’m usually aligned, so I figured anything could’ve happened. But the Seattle electorate came through once again, voting to tax itself to fund the programs we desperately need.
Over the past year Seattle led the charge on the minimum wage, and following our success here, voters approved minimum wage hikes yesterday in a number of cities and states. In fact, San Francisco will actually beat us to $15 after voters massively approved a straight-up three-year phase-in for all workers by 2018—not exemptions, no tip credit, no nothing.
We need to remain vigilant as Seattle’s preschool program is implemented in order to fend off the corporate reformers. But my hope is that if we successfully implement a program here, cities and states throughout the nation will eventually follow our lead, just like they are doing on the minimum wage.
So yeah… I’m actually not so bummed the morning after. Dems lost as big as I expected Dems to lose, and that totally sucks. More on what we need to do to turn that around in a subsequent post. But on the ballot issues that will have the most immediate impact on our city—preschool, transit, and gun control—Seattle residents won big.
Focus on the local. That is the lesson—in more ways than one—that progressives should take from yesterday’s election.