Over the weekend, I was walking around suburbia. It was the day after the storm, and I passed a rhododendron that had been toppled. I wasn’t sure if I should have pushed the root ball back into the ground. I decided not to wander onto some stranger’s property to do some half-assed landscaping. But I would prefer to live in a world where people did that, and it was OK.
Please joins us this evening for another cocktail-enhanced and conversation-packed edition of the Seattle Chapter of Drinking liberally.
Can’t make it to Seattle? Ok…then check out one of the 244 chapters of Living Liberally, including 23 in Washington state, six in Oregon and three in Idaho. Find a chapter near you. Or consider starting your own chapter.
Seeing the coverage of the kids who survived the Florida school shooting at rallies and in the Sunday shows, I couldn’t help think of how much we, adults in this country, have failed them. However they grieve is the right way, but they shouldn’t have to be there.
They deserve better than the world adults are giving them. They deserve better than being judged on how articulate they are less than a week after living through a horror and having their friends die. The fact that they are stressing about something more than grades or sports or who to go to the dance with is our fault. Shame on us.
1 Kings 11:1-3
King Solomon, however, loved many foreign women besides Pharaoh’s daughter—Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians and Hittites. They were from nations about which the LORD had told the Israelites, “You must not intermarry with them, because they will surely turn your hearts after their gods.” Nevertheless, Solomon held fast to them in love. He had seven hundred wives of royal birth and three hundred concubines, and his wives led him astray.
Bill Maher does Vicente Fox.
The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Ijeoma Oluo—You can’t “win” a conversation about race
The Dotard Трамп and His Clown Parade:
- Jimmy Kimmel: Трамп’s lawyer paid off Stormy Daniels
- Young Turks: Трамп wants to replace food stamps with food boxes
- Late Show: Dotard Трамп’s Valentine’s day card to Melania Трамп
- Elizabeth Warren talks about the real “Pocahontas”:
- Rachel Maddow: Dotard Трамп administration is giving Russia what it wants on sanctions
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: America’s metaphorical wall is a success
- Farron Cousins: Трамп hasn’t appointed a science advisor; Apparently he is afraid of smart people
- Bill Maher: Traitor Трамп’s toxic trysts.
- Ari Melber: Existential threat to Трамп Presidency in new Mueller indictment?
- Mark Fiore: ТрампBox
- Chris Hayes: Why is Трамп deporting people who call 911?
- Farron Cousins: White House refuses to discuss immigration status of Melania’s family
- WaPo: Wray vs. the White House on Porter’s background check
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп presidential portrait unveiled
- Young Turks: Anti-immigrant Трамп only hires foreign workers
- Lawrence O’Donnell: Robert Mueller likely has a third cooperating witness
- Sen. Blumenthal: “Rob Porter was a security risk time bomb”
- Maddow: Dotard Трамп team uses gun tragedy as cover, reveals financial documents
- Late Show’s alter egos: Extra White House edition:
- WaPo Fact Check: No, the Трамп tax cut didn’t spark major U.S. investments
- Wanda Sykes with Great fails in Black history
- David Pakman: Is Melania trolling Dotard Трамп?
- Sky News: John Oliver on Трамп, Brexit and fake news
- Jimmy Kimmel: White House Valentine’s day cards
- Jimmy Kimmel: More Valentine’s day cards from the White House
- This Dreamer is suing Трамп.
- Lawrence O’Donnell: Dotard Трамп “totally opposed” to domestic abuse and Congress demands answers
- Rachel Maddow: Dotard Трамп’s lawyer says he paid Stormy Daniels from his own money
- Daily Show: No regrets—How a Трамп supporter may have voted to destroy his own career
Mental Floss: Valentine’s Day.
Trevor interviews Heroes of “The 15:17 to Paris”.
CP Times with Roy Wood Jr.: Unsung Black Heroes of Politics.
The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: At war with machines
Hasan the Record: Free speech—If you can’t beat ’em, troll ’em
Francesca Fiorentini: How tech giants feed off capitalism’s failures:
Wendover: How overnight shipping works.
ANOTHER GODDAMN SCHOOL MASS SHOOTING?!?!?
- Parkland students and teachers direct grief and rage at Washington
- Unacceptable: Analysts, politicians react to Fla. school shooting
- Ari Melber: Gov. Andrew Cuomo on background checks and AR-15s.
- WaPo Opinion: President Трамп, you can do much more to reduce gun deaths
- Farron Cousins: He Republicans, your thoughts and prayers ARE NOT DOING SHIT
- Young Turks: FL shooter in custody.
- Rachel Maddow: FL school teacher describes what happened.
- David Pakman: How to debunk “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people”
- See videos students took during the Florida school shooting
- Lawrence O’Donnell: Florida Dad to politicians—Stop taking “blood money” from NRA
- How powerful assault rifles lead to devastating wounds
- Rachel Maddow: Dotard Трамп words on gun tragedy ring hollow given past legislation
What the collapse of immigration bills means for Dreamers.
Bad polling is ruining everything.
The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Ted Lieu and the Democrats’ push to take back the House:
Jimmy Kimmel: This week in unnecessary censorship.
Trevor Noah’s Ark-eology: A hidden Mayan village & the Cheddar man
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
Once again: Please everyone reading this, don’t murder anyone. I’m sick of having to write that, but people keep murdering. Honestly, don’t.
I should say to start that there may be times when a box of food instead of SNAP benefits might be beneficial. Save a trip or two worth of gas. Maybe for disabled, people not having to go to the grocery store is a positive.
The proposal isn’t that. And that said, there is a problem with the plan beyond how it infantilizes poor people. It’s that grocery stores are one of the few places where all strata of society meet. This proposal seems like another way for middle class and wealthy people to not think about poor people in their communities.
The Seattle Chapter of Drinking Liberally meets tonight. And it happens to be a special election night. So, if you haven’t already done so, mail or drop off your ballot, and then swing by and join us for drinks and good cheer.
Can’t make it to Seattle? Seriously? Ok…then check out one of the 244 chapters of Living Liberally, including 23 in Washington state, six in Oregon and three in Idaho. Find a chapter near you. Or go out and start one if need be.
This Presidency is fucking exhausting. Should I write about massive deficits? The second wife beater? Cruel immigration garbage? It’s too much and all at once.
If a man takes a wife and, after lying with her, dislikes her and slanders her and gives her a bad name, saying, “I married this woman, but when I approached her, I did not find proof of her virginity,” then the girl’s father and mother shall bring proof that she was a virgin to the town elders at the gate. The girl’s father will say to the elders, “I gave my daughter in marriage to this man, but he dislikes her. Now he has slandered her and said, ‘I did not find your daughter to be a virgin.’ But here is the proof of my daughter’s virginity.” Then her parents shall display the cloth before the elders of the town, and the elders shall take the man and punish him. They shall fine him a hundred shekels of silver, and give them to the girl’s father, because this man has given an Israelite virgin a bad name. She shall continue to be his wife; he must not divorce her as long as he lives.
If, however, the charge is true and no proof of the girl’s virginity can be found, she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.
Jimmy Kimmel: The week in unnecessary censorship.
The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Monopoly’s tabletop abomination
How the FISA process works.
The Census Gets Political:
- PBS: 2020 census is at risk
- Vox: The 2020 census is in serious trouble.
- How a new census question could shift political power in America
James Corden: Political monologue
Seattle Mayor Durkan wants ALL past misdemeanor marijuana convictions erased from people’s records!
Bill Maher and Bari Weiss on the #MeToo movement
Inside Amy Schumer: Shhhh-Nacks.
The Dotard Трамп and His Parade of Banana Republic Idiots:
- Stephen: The Dotard touted the economy as the stock market plunged
- Jimmy Kimmel: Трамп brags a tiny bit about the stock market
- WaPo: Watch Трамп boast about the stock market
- Sam Seder: Трамп’s fascism squad arrest Kansas chemistry teacher who lived here for 30 years
- Young Turks: Omarosa makes ominous Трамп warning
- Seth Meyers: Трампs disturbing week—Russia, military parade, Rob Porter
- Chris Hayes: President Dotard Трамп gets mocked for his parade idea
- Bill Maher: Abusive aides and military parades
- Jimmy Kimmel: Hair stylists react to Трамп’s hair flapping in the wind
- Samantha Bee: This week in chaos—Nunes & BIEs
- Mental health experts on The Dotard Трамп’s mental health
- Trevor: Of course Трамп wants to throw himself a military parade
- Jimmy Fallon: “The Times, They are a Changing:
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Tim Baltz takes on the FBI
- Late Show: G.I. Joe’s new companion is. . . Cadet Bone Spurs!
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп would wipe the floor with Mueller
- Stephen: The White House got rid of a bad man (no, not Трамп)
- Seth Meyers: Late Night White House press briefing
- Lawrence O’Donnell: Why John Kelly is hiding from the American people
- Fact checking Трамп: No, wages didn’t just start rising when the Dotard was elected
- Chris Hayes: The Dotard Трамп’s attitude about women has never wavered
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Just between us—Nunes memo dominates court of public opinion
- Young Turks: Трамп orders military parade
- Sam Seder: Melania demanded White House be exorcised after Obama left, right-wing pastor claims
- Rachel Maddow: Eric Holder, “There’s a persuasive case that Presidents can be indicted
- Stephen: Why Трамп doesn’t want to talk to Robert Mueller
- Bill Maher with Rep. Adam Schiff: The #DemMemo
- Jimmy Kimmel: Kellyanne Conway interrupts Kimmel monologue
- Super Deluxe: Sarah Huckabee Sanders as a country song
- Young Turks: Трамп chickens out on Mueller interview
- Rachel Maddow: Rob Porter access to classified information raises huge legal question
- Lawrence O’Donnell: Veteran Congressman, military parade is the “stupidest thing I’ve ever heard”
- Chris Hayes: Republicans are losing their religion on deficits
- Lauren Mayer: The Perjury Trap
- Seth Meyers: Трамп wants a military parade, lies about immigration
- WaPo: D.C. and the media react to the Трамп parade plan.
- Stephen: Our very smart President can easily handle Robert Mueller
- Lauren Mayer: There are worse things Трамп could do
- Seth Meyers: Let’s get petty with Dotard Трамп’s bald spot
- Late Show: Global warming is now “not necessarily a bad thing”
- Young Turks: Even some Republicans blast Трамп’s parade
- Francesca Fiorentini: This is what plutocracy looks like
- Jimmy Kimmel: Melania Трамп follows Barack Obama on Twitter
- Bill Maher: New Rule—if you can’t read, you can’t be President:
- Stephen: A footnote completely ruins Devin Nunes’ argument
- David Pakman: Judge who Трамп insulted will preside over Mexico wall case
- Chris Hayes: The Dotard Трамп already has a YUGE problem with infrastructure plan
- Trevor: Трамп the jokester accuses Democrats of treason
- Vox: The Трамп—FOX & Friends feedback loop, explained
- WaPo: D.C. council member says Трамп’s plans for military parade are all about his ego
- Late Show: The Трампs-Giving Day military parade
- Bill Maher: 25 things you don’t know about Devin Nunes
Samantha Bee: This week in chaos—Nukes
Lawrence O’Donnell: Charlie Cook suggests a blue wave following Dem win in Трамп country.
Jimmy Kimmel: Jesus is your flu shot.
Black History Month:
- The Opposition with Jordan Klepper: Black Lives? Manners!
- Samantha Bee: Racist Roadshow.
- Jimmy Kimmel: Dotard Трамп celebrates Black History Month
- Full Frontal: Black history spotlight—John Robinson.
Mark Fiore: Buster the little nuke!
The new face of the NRA.
Sam Seder with Ari Berman: Koch brother scumbags and the best elections money can buy.
Jimmy Kimmel demonstrates why denying gay couples wedding cakes is wrong:
The fight for birthright citizenship in America.
Last week’s Friday Night Multimedia Extravaganza can be found here.
Fuck Rob Porter. Fuck this administration covering up for him. A lot of people should start resigning in disgrace, start with John Kelly. But also, the people who swore up and down that Kelly would be the grownup in the room can go too.
I should have noted the passage of the Reproductive Parity Act in the Senate earlier. Since it has passed the House multiple times, it should be law by the end of the session.
The Seattle Chapter of Drinking Liberally meets tonight for our weekly gathering of conversation over drinks. Please stop by and say hello.
Can’t make it to Seattle? Check out one of the 244 chapters of Living Liberally, including 23 in Washington state, six in Oregon and three in Idaho. Find, or go out and start, a chapter near you.
Super Bowl Sunday when you don’t have a rooting interest is the best. We only had a few hours of sunshine, but the park was practically empty. I had a great walk, then took a nearly empty bus home. I am generally in favor of more density, but every once in a while, I quite like using public amenities without all of the public.